A class is missing in the documentation

's Avatar

thomas.raths

03 Jan, 2016 03:34 PM

We implemented a library "robust_excel_ole". There the class Book is missing in the documentation.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much in advance.
Thomas

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by lsegal on 29 Jan, 2016 12:42 AM

Can you provide more information as to where you are not seeing the documentation? A URL would be helpful.

2. 2 Posted by Thomas Raths on 29 Jan, 2016 07:56 AM

Thank you!
    The link is

Thoams

---
    Dr. Thomas Raths
    Körperpsychotherapie, Theatertherapie, Tanz

Karmeliterweg 49
    13465 Berlin-Frohnau

0175 - 90 81 668
    www.erlebens-raum.de

Gesendet: Freitag, 29. Januar 2016 um 01:42 Uhr
    Von: lsegal <[email blocked]>
    An: [email blocked]
    Betreff: Re: A class is missing in the documentation [Problems #437]
    <!--pre { width: 92.0%; margin: 10.0px 2.0%; padding: 5.0px 2.0%; background: rgb(239,239,239); border: 1.0px solid rgb(214,214,214); } blockquote { margin-left: 0; padding-left: 1.0em; border-left: 5.0px solid rgb(204,204,204); } -->

// Please reply above this line
    ==================================================

Can you provide more information as to where you are not seeing the documentation? A URL would be helpful.

On Sun, Jan 03 at 07:34 AM PST, wrote:

We implemented a library "robust_excel_ole". There the class Book is missing in the documentation.
    Thomas

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: A class is missing in the documentation.

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by lsegal on 29 Jan, 2016 11:29 AM

I see that you recently added YARD formatted documentation in your source, but these additions seem to have come after your last release (v0.3.7) (commit was in January 2016, release was December 2015). The gems portion of rubydoc.info only serves from released gem code, so in order to see this under /gems/robust_excel_ole, you must release a new version.

That said, if you want to preview, your documentation does seem to work from the GitHub side of things:

http://www.rubydoc.info/github/Thomas008/robust_excel_ole/master/Ro...

Though I would suggest using YARD locally to test this, if you're looking to preview documentation as you build it up.

Hope that helps!

4. 4 Posted by Thomas Raths on 05 Feb, 2016 05:29 PM

Hello,
    thanks a lot for you answer.

>That said, if you want to preview, your documentation does seem to work from the GitHub side of things:

>http://www.rubydoc.info/github/Thomas008/robust_excel_ole/master/Ro...

No, it does not work:
    The problem is:
    The class Book is not displayed.

>Though I would suggest using YARD locally to test this, if you're looking to preview documentation as you build it up.
    I did it, and the class Book is here displayed.

How can I let display the class Book?

Thanks a lot,
    Thomas

---
    Dr. Thomas Raths

Karmeliterweg 49
    13465 Berlin-Frohnau

0175 - 90 81 668
    www.erlebens-raum.de

Gesendet: Freitag, 29. Januar 2016 um 12:29 Uhr
    <!--pre { width: 92.0%; margin: 10.0px 2.0%; padding: 5.0px 2.0%; background: rgb(239,239,239); border: 1.0px solid rgb(214,214,214); } blockquote { margin-left: 0; padding-left: 1.0em; border-left: 5.0px solid rgb(204,204,204); } -->

I see that you recently added YARD formatted documentation in your source, but these additions seem to have come after your last release (v0.3.7) (commit was in January 2016, release was December 2015). The gems portion of rubydoc.info only serves from released gem code, so in order to see this under /gems/robust_excel_ole, you must release a new version.

That said, if you want to preview, your documentation does seem to work from the GitHub side of things:

Though I would suggest using YARD locally to test this, if you're looking to preview documentation as you build it up.

Hope that helps!

On Thu, Jan 28 at 11:56 PM PST, Thomas Raths wrote:

Thank you!
    The link is

Thoams

---
    Dr. Thomas Raths

Karmeliterweg 49
    13465 Berlin-Frohnau

0175 - 90 81 668
    www.erlebens-raum.de

Thomas

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: A class is missing in the documentation.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by lsegal on 05 Feb, 2016 09:17 PM

YARD does not generate the Book class locally either. I tried this out on my machine and noticed at least one syntax error:

[warn]: Syntax error in lib/robust_excel_ole/book.rb:(700,25): syntax error, unexpected ':', expecting keyword_then or ',' or ';' or '\n'

This is likely the cause on rubydoc.info as well.

Just to clarify, the case/when syntax you are using seems to be the old 1.8 style syntax. YARD, when run in Ruby 1.9/2.x will by default use the new ripper parser, which is a 1.9+ parser. Since rubydoc.info (and my local machine) use Ruby 2.x, the error is generated in both places. You are probably running YARD in a Ruby 1.8.x, which is why you don't need to turn on legacy mode.

If you really need to use 1.8 style syntax, you can switch YARD into legacy mode with the --legacy switch, but note that this is a legacy mode and not receiving any feature updates (it's effectively a deprecated mode).

The easier fix is to change the colons into semi-colons, which is both 1.8 and 1.9+ compatible. That seems to fix it for me.

6. 6 Posted by Thomas Raths on 16 Feb, 2016 01:26 PM

YARD now runs without error at my system locally.

Still, on rubydoc, the class Book is missing, although it is produced at my system.

Can it be because of different versions of Yard?
    I use the version 0.8.7.6. What version does rubydoc use?

Thank you!
    Thomas

---
    Dr. Thomas Raths

Karmeliterweg 49
    13465 Berlin-Frohnau

0175 - 90 81 668
    www.erlebens-raum.de

Gesendet: Freitag, 05. Februar 2016 um 22:17 Uhr

YARD does not generate the Book class locally either. I tried this out on my machine and noticed at least one syntax error:

[warn]: Syntax error in lib/robust_excel_ole/book.rb:(700,25): syntax error, unexpected ':', expecting keyword_then or ',' or ';' or '\n'

This is likely the cause on rubydoc.info as well.

On Fri, Feb 05 at 09:29 AM PST, Thomas Raths wrote:

Hello,
    thanks a lot for you answer.

>That said, if you want to preview, your documentation does seem to work from the GitHub side of things:

>http://www.rubydoc.info/github/Thomas008/robust_excel_ole/master/Ro...

No, it does not work:
    The problem is:
    The class Book is not displayed.

>Though I would suggest using YARD locally to test this, if you're looking to preview documentation as you build it up.
    I did it, and the class Book is here displayed.

How can I let display the class Book?

Thanks a lot,
    Thomas

---
    Dr. Thomas Raths

Karmeliterweg 49
    13465 Berlin-Frohnau

0175 - 90 81 668
    www.erlebens-raum.de

Gesendet: Freitag, 29. Januar 2016 um 12:29 Uhr

Hope that helps!

On Thu, Jan 28 at 11:56 PM PST, Thomas Raths wrote:

Thank you!
    The link is

Thoams

---
    Dr. Thomas Raths

Karmeliterweg 49
    13465 Berlin-Frohnau

0175 - 90 81 668
    www.erlebens-raum.de

Thomas

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by lsegal on 16 Feb, 2016 07:24 PM

rubydoc.info uses the master branch of YARD, though that should have no effect on this specific issue, which should be working correctly in 0.8.7.6.

The important part is that YARD is run on Ruby 2.1.4 on the site, which means it uses the new-style parser (not legacy unless explicitly enabled). If you want to reproduce what YARD does on rubydoc.info, you should be running on Ruby 2.x at least.

As an aside, you should probably not be using Ruby 1.8 for developer tooling anymore. More relevantly, if you are releasing a RubyGem, you should absolutely be authoring for Ruby 2.x, which means you should be running your tests against Ruby 2.x as well. The community has by and large moved away from 1.8, so if you publish code that is not at least 1.9+ compatible, very few people will be able to use it.

It still does not seem as though you have fixed the issue described above or added the --legacy switch to your .yardopts file (see this KB article for setting up options). I am pretty sure that's why rubydoc is still not picking up the class. Note that adding the --legacy switch is not the preferred fix, changing the case/when syntax in your code is the recommended path, since your library is currently broken for anyone using Ruby 1.9+.

8. lsegal closed this discussion on 10 Sep, 2016 11:06 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac